Monday, February 25, 2013

FAN MAIL: Soundgarden



Dear Soundgarden,

Well played, well played. I applaud you for a job well done. Two back to back nights in NYC, presumably giving the fans a choice to join you at one of the shows at the intimate venue at Hammerstein Ballroom, but little did they know the dastardly plan you already had set in motion…the setlist. Amazing show that seemed to go on for hours to what I can only assume to be the energy levels of Matt Cameron (who I never seen play less than a two hour set between the two times I saw him with Pearl Jam and the two times I saw him with Soundgarden). Great song after great song, and then the encore, which everyone in the audience knew what to expect…then BLAM! Everyone knows what to expect at a Soundgarden show, and that is a good time, a face hidden by hair, and “Black Hole Sun”…but not this time. You teased the crowd by playing everything but this monumental hit, which perhaps was a ploy to get people to double up and join you for both nights? That’s right I saw right through your plan, but I hold no ill feelings, because you announced both shows at the same time. My biggest grip with bands and/or Ticketmaster is announcing a show that is known to sell out in minutes, most of the time a weeknight show, and then magically when that sells out, and everyone got their nosebleed section tickets a new weekend show is announced, but not Soundgarden, and for that I love them even more. I had the choice, albeit may have made the wrong choice if I wanted to hear their #1 hit, but I more than enjoyed the set I was given.

Without wax,
Dan






 Soundgarden at Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC (January 22, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment