Monday, June 3, 2013

SHORT STORY: High Flyer

I once thought very high of myself.  I thought I was the best, and I was under the impression that everyone loved me.  Every time someone came into my store I was always met with a smile, even if it was the first time someone saw me.  I felt like I was on top of the world; that was until that day.

I am not sure what day of the week it was, but I knew it was windy outside, the branches rustled against the store front and the howl of the gusts startled me on a regular basis.  A family walked in and the bell on the front door announced their arrival.  I had not seen them before, but they did not look menacing.  A husband and wife and what looked like their two sons walked casually through the store, eying the goods, but kept their hands in their pockets.  One of the boys ran over to me and signaled to his father, who approached me.  He stopped in front of me without saying a word, just eying me down.  He then nodded to his son and grabbed my back.  He dragged me to the front of the store, where I could not tell what was going on.  It all happened so quickly and then I was covered with a plastic bag.

Everything was dark as I was loaded into a car, and it was obvious that they did not want me knowing where I was being taken.  I was listening for clues so that if I were to survive I could give the police an accurate description.  I heard sea gulls squawking.  Must be near water I thought.  Then I heard the crashing of waves and I knew I was correct with my assumption.  Next thing I know I was being pulled from the car and placed on the ground, it was sand.  I could feel the wind pounding against the bag which still covered me.  The family pulled off my blindfold revealing that I was at a beach.  It was broad daylight and there were civilians everywhere, what are they up to I thought.  I kept telling myself it could not be that bad with all these witnesses, but I was wrong.  The youngest of the boys grabbed some rope and strung me up.  Tied the knots real tight, so that I could not get away.  He then hoisted me into the air.  What sort of torture practices does this boy know?

I could barely breath with the barrage of wind striking my face.  I was being inversely hung and all the bystanders just stood by and stood there watching.  No one called for help, and no one tried to intervene.  I think I even saw some people point in amazement.  They were enjoying my suffering.  I sensed a powerful draft coming my way, so I manueverd myself in the direction of the wind intending to finish myself off and end the anguish, but to my dismay I did not die.  The wind was so powerful, that the rope that was used to bind me had given way and snapped.  I was released from my leash, but thrown high into the air.

I felt the sensation that I was gliding, gliding to freedom.  I am not sure how long I was in the air for, but miraculously I somehow made it down unharmed.  I have yet to run into that family again, and I try to refrain from profanity, so if I ever see them again I will not tell them to go fly a kite.

No comments:

Post a Comment