Monday, May 27, 2013

SHORT STORY: A Mid Mall Meating

Adam placed his tray down in from of him and took a seat, hungrily eying the cheeseburger.  Adam picked up the quarter pound meal and sunk his teeth in; blood dribbling down onto the plate.  Winston, a fellow shopper in the mall, witnessed Adam feasting in the food court and made his way over to the table.

"You know meat is murder?" Winston announced with his nose protruding up into the air.

"You know murder is delicious?" Adam shot back as he sunk his teeth in for a second bite.

"I do not see how humans can eat other animals, it is just not natural," Winston shook his head.

"Is it natural for a lion to eat an antelope?  Nature is natural, and we are just at the top of the food chain, get use to it," Adam added.

"It is not natural to harvest beings for the sole purpose of human digestion.  They are caged, and tortured.  Antelope do not get that treatment, they live freely," Winston raised his voice, causing other mall patrons to turn their attention.

"Would you prefer I went out and hunted my own meal?  Same outcome, cows are not very good runners," Adam joked with the intention of irritation.

"You do not take this seriously?  You carnies are all the same.  It is not the same as a lion eating an antelope as it is a man hunting a deer.  The use of weapons skews the balance," Winston said.

"I disagree," Adam commented, "getting more serious with the discussion.  "Lions use their superior speed, agility and claws, and therefore can easily hunt.  This is why they are at the top of the food chain.  That is the evolution of the lion.  Humans however focused their skills on intelligence and tools over physical prowess, and thus we created these tools to aid us in our survival.  That is the evolution of man."

"Man is corrupt, they enjoy the kill more than the meal," Winston jabbed.

"I think you are a fool if for one second you believe that if given the chance a cow would not strike you down and devour you for survival," Adam noted.

Meanwhile Jake, a man at a nearby table, stood and approached the two arguing.  "Excuse me, but I could not help but overhear your conversation and I thought I could add some insight," Jake joined in.

"I am just trying to eat here," Adam stated with his mouth full, trying to back out of the talk.

"If you are an advocate of murder, then save your breath," Winston shot Jake a glare.

"I am against all forms of murder; be it human, be it animals, or be it plant.  In my opinion, you are both atrocious.  What gives either one of you the right to kill one being for your own gain?" Jake asked.

"I like meat," Adam was barely able to mutter from around the hamburger in his mouth.

Shocked at the accusations, Winston got defensive, "I am most definitely not murdering.  Eating plants is not the same as eating animals."

"Who are you to make up that decision?" Jake asked.  "Both are living, and ending either one of their lives prematurely would be murder in my book.  If you are what you eat, then I consider you an animal, and you a fruit.  You both ought to be ashamed."

"If you are so high and mighty, what do you eat?" Winston asked of Jake.

"I get my nutrients and sustenance from non-living sources such as chewing dirt and licking rocks.  Think of the way the insects do it." Jake explained.

"You are retarded," Adam exclaimed without even raising his head from his meal.  "I just want to eat in piece."

Winston, still feeling the pressure of being on the opposite side of the blame than usual, tried to rationalize his actions.  "Plants do not think.  Animals think.  It is not the same."

"Believe what you want," Jake commented nonchalantly, "I am not the one committing vegecide every time I want a nosh."

While Jake and Winston were discussing, Adam finished his food and stood up slowly.  "Well, it was lovely chatting with you two nut jobs, but I must be on my way."

Winston looked at Jake, and out of frustration stormed off in the opposite direction.  Jake stood there for a moment with a smug smirk on his face before heading off himself.  Meanwhile, Jasper sat with his brother at a nearby table and had witnessed the whole scenario.

"You know brother," Jasper started, "it is amazing that people can get so worked up over simple things such as diet.  Three different people, with three different views, trying to convert the others, yet they all leave with their original mindsets.  Each of their efforts are futile.  So judgmental, they have a few things they could learn about life.  So touchy over right and wrong when it comes to eating.  All this talk about food is getting my own appetite up, why don't we go eat that Boy Scout we have chained up in our basement?"

No comments:

Post a Comment